I’m on a journey to sign up to as many tourism and travel related email lists as possible. Email marketing is an inexact guessing game, and I want to know how other people are guessing. I’ve just passed 300 lists – is not that many in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it was worth putting down a few things that I’ve learnt so far.
As a part of my process I am keeping a log of part of the sign up process, including the frequency/timing of the first two emails. The lists are mainly from Australian tourism/travel businesses as this is my geographical reference point (I live in Sydney).
Here’s a few statistics and feelings I’ve gathered so far:
- By and large the sign up experience for tourism/travel has been poor.
- Of businesses surveyed 20% did not have an email list available via their website.
- Of all businesses with subscription, 57.7% have sent an email since I subscribed.
- On average the first email comes 6.14 days after subscription.
- On average the second email comes 10.86 days after the first email.
There’s a lot more to say, but it’ll have to wait for further posts ;)